Friday, August 31, 2012

Why I do what I do

Let me tell you a little story.  Last winter my family was struggling financially.  I was staying at home with my daughter, and my husband was working full-time.  Sadly, part of his monthly paycheck was based on commission, so some months we really struggled.  In December, a friend of mine was hosting a Pure Romance party, and I decided that I needed a night out.  I was a little nervous about going, since I'd never been to a party like it before, and I had no idea what to expect.  Part of me was expecting a boring sex-ed lecture on how to use the products, and the other part of me was expecting vibrator sword fights.  Luckily, neither of these was correct.  The party was actually really fun.  People won prizes, everyone learned something new that they didn't know before that night, and most of all we all laughed.  A lot.  I'm actually surprised that in a room full of moms (we were in a moms' group together) not one of us peed our pants!  It was quite an accomplishment.  I talked to the consultant briefly about her job, and took home some flyers and handouts she had.

Then I waited.  And waited.  And stressed about  money.  And looked at the flyers.  And stressed some more.  And waited more.  Until finally in March I decided just to go for it.  I bought myself the Gold Kit (at a much higher price than they offer it most of the time, thank you very much) and started learning everything about the products Pure Romance carries.  I watched all the videos available online, and read all of the information sheets.  I crafted my demo (which is kind of like writing a stand-up comedy act now that I think about it), and booked my first party.

I won't lie, I was nervous as hell the night of that first party.  I've never been a super confident person, and I was freaking out a little bit.  But once I got going it just came naturally.  I've always been the girl who everyone asks sex advice from (let's not get into why ok?), so it wasn't weird at all for me to talk about sex in front of a room full of women.  They asked questions, and I knew the answers because Pure Romance provided me with such good resources.  It was kind of awesome.  Then it was time to order and I had some sort of out of body experience and totally floundered through everyone's orders.  It was kind of embarrassing.  But I got two more parties booked from that night and made a few hundred bucks to boot!  On the way home, I realized that this was by far the easiest money I had ever earned.  I was gone from the house for maybe four hours, and I made about $150.  That's better than any job I've ever had!

Now I usually just do a party or two a month, and make about $500 a month.  Yeah, I could do more, but I really like spending time with my family, so I choose to limit the number of parties I do a month.  If I actually wanted to, and I booked two parties a weekend I'd probably be making $1500 a month (before taxes, but we'll deal with that come April).  It's nice to know that I can make more if, say, our car breaks down, or I can spend more time with my family and just make enough to make ends meet.  I love the flexibility that this job provides.  I also love the fact that every night on my way home from a party I can honestly say that I helped most of those women go home to have the best sex of their lives, whether it's with a partner or alone. It's a pretty good feeling, I must say.

If you're reading this and thinking to yourself "Gee, Caitlin, that sounds awesome.  I'd sure like to learn more" please let me know.  I'd love to talk to you about the business, and help you find a way to start earning some extra spending money right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment